Friday, April 7, 2017

Review: Bao Zhong - Tea Chai Te

Type: Oolong
Producer: Tea Chai Te
Origin: Taiwan
Brewing Parameters: 1 tsp, 8 oz.  185°F water, 3-4 min. (recommended)
Appearance: Small-medium sized, loosely rolled dark green leaves
Rating: B- | 82/100
# of Brews: 6

Tasting Notes and Thoughts
I mentioned this in a previous post, but I'm not the biggest fan of Tea Chai Te. They have a great selection of teas and the store is a nice place, but the service there wasn't the best (compared to other, similar tea stores I've been to). Also, I'm not sure if this is just the teas I've gotten or if I'm brewing wrong, but they all seem to be very weak in flavor– today's tea is no exception.

If I had to describe this tea in three words, I'd call it a buttery milk oolong. After washing the tea, it smelled exactly like milk oolong– mainly grassy, and a bit creamy. The color of the brew was always light yellow. For the first set of brews, the flavor was savory and earthy, with butter and nuts as the main taste. There was also a light cinnamon aftertaste. As time went on, it became more fruity and floral, but as I mentioned before, it was a bit weak in taste (despite using 5g of leaf). It's a decent tea; however, I think I'll need to try experimenting with water temperatures, leaf, brew times, etc. to try and get a better flavor. It has the potential, but it's not there yet.

Other Notes
Today's album is the Animal LP by Big Scary. Now that it's the weekend, I need to start getting my act together and catching up on all the work I have– just one project for AP Gov and studying for all of my other classes. I've spent this entire break mostly relaxing, but these next two weeks are going to be busy as hell, so it looks like I got some work to do! 

No comments:

Post a Comment