Sunday, February 28, 2016

Recipe: Homemade C2 Green Tea (Apple)

Two posts today since I missed last weeks' review. This is kind of a very simple drink recipe, but hell, it tastes like the actual drink so I thought I'd post it.

If you're Filipino, or have been in a Filipino supermarket, you've probably seen or tasted this drink. Essentially, it's a fruit flavored drink with tea with flavors like apple or peach; however, it's deathly sweet and has a metric butt-ton of sugar (probably because it'd be hard to sell in the Philippines if it wasn't; when I was over there, soda is very popular– even moreso than here in America). Anyway, since I love apple, I used to drink a ton of it, but now it tastes way too sweet. I actually figured out this recipe by accident though, and was surprised at how similar it tastes.

It's very simple: all you need is apple juice, green tea (I've been using the Ta Jin Xuan green tea), sugar, and salt.
1. Brew your green tea to a relatively strong strength without making it bitter. I found that brewing 5 grams with 80°C water for 30 seconds to a minute works pretty well, but try experimenting since all tea differs.
2. Add your apple juice to the tea in a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio (more apple juice than tea, to get a similar sweetness and apple flavor to actual C2).
3. Add sugar to taste, and (if you prefer) a very small pinch of salt.
4. Chill the drink, and serve when cold.

It's pretty good, and the only issue I've found is that it can be a bit sour if there's not enough apple juice, so adding sugar would fix that.

No comments:

Post a Comment