Sunday, August 23, 2015

Week of Jin Xuan - Day 6: Vietnam Jin Xuan Oolong & Taiwan Ali Shan Jin Xuan Oolong

Welp, only 1 more day left before summer vacation ends. Today and yesterday, I practiced making matcha, went biking with the family and ate at an Indian restaurant. I think I'm going to go watch a movie with them after this, and then study. Oh, also, that Milk Oolong from Taiwan from yesterday's review is now my carry-around tea (used to be Rose Oolong). Honestly though, I don't know how I'm going to spend my last day of summer (I might watch Straight Outta Compton with my sister), but hopefully it'll be good before I get back to the grind. Anyway, today's album is The World! Evangelion Jazz Night by the Tokyo 3 Jazz Club.


Vietnam Jin Xuan Oolong - What-Cha
Type & Appearance: Unroasted Oolong - Medium sized, dark green balled oolong
Recommended Brew Time, Temp., Amount: 80°C, 1 tsp, 2 min.
Rating: B- | 82/100
# of Brews: 6

Notes:
At the beginning, the tea had a light golden yellow color and a wet earth and wood aroma, with some notes of burnt sugar. The flavor was a bit like dried fruits, hazelnuts, and milk/cream (only somewhat). It irritated my throat quite a bit, but left a very fruity, mango-like flavor in my mouth and breath. Over time, it became a bit more fruity and lost its drying qualities (for the most part). Overall, a pretty average oolong.


Taiwan Ali Shan Jin Xuan Oolong - What-Cha 
Type & Appearance: Unroasted Oolong - Small, light-green/brownish balled oolong
Recommended Brew Time, Temp., Amount: 80°C, 1 tsp, 2 min.
Rating: B- | 80/100
# of Brews: 6

Notes:
For this tea's first few brews, the liquid was a light straw yellow with an aroma similar to wood, a little bit of smoke, and cinnamon. There were notes of malt, peanuts, and very sweet rose with an aftertaste of caramel
It made my throat and mouth a little dry, but not as much compared to the Vietnam Jin Xuan. This tea is more earthier than the Vietnam Jin Xuan, but not stronger; they're relatively the same. After a couple of brews, this tea became more creamier, a tad bit bitter, and less astringent. It was okay, but I've tasted better.


Final Notes
So, I'm sure you can tell that today's review is a bit short. That's because my dad decided last minute to go out to the theatre (after we decided to watch at home), so I ended up rushing through. Both of today's teas were a bit average- more astringent than usual- but still enjoyable. I personally liked the Vietnam Jin Xuan more since it wasn't so dry and more fruity, but I can see some people enjoying the Jin Xuan from Ali Shan.



No comments:

Post a Comment