Monday, January 25, 2016

Tea Review: Corn Tea - Ito En

Tea Info
Type: Corn (tisane) tea bag
Producer: Ito En
Brewing Parameters: 1 tea bag (~3.3 g), 100°C (?), 1 minute – Western style
Appearance: A pyramid teabag, with chopped corn kernels (reddish, brown, and yellow colored)
Rating: C | 76/100
# of Brews: 1

Tasting Notes and Thoughts
Well, I finally got around to reviewing this. Like the mulberry tea, this one is more of a unique tea that I'm drinking for the novelty. As such, I'm going to make this a quick review since I have quite a bit of work to do today and I'm only starting now (1 PM). There's also the fact that I'm a bit sick right now, which might affect my taste.

Anyway, this is a very aromatic tea. The liquid was a cloudy yellow, with visible sediment accumulated at the bottom. The smell was distinctly corn (as in, popcorn kernels), with notes of roasted nuts and a tiny bit of chocolate. The only tea I can really compare this to is probably a houjicha, black soybean tea,  or any other roasted tea. At its forefront, the flavor is roasted corn with a bit of a spicy kick and sour aftertaste. The texture is creamy, but is  also a little bit drying to the throat. Overall, it's not a bad tea, but also doesn't have too much going for it– I'd prefer a different herbal tea (like one of the ones I mentioned above).


Other Notes
Now that finals and the SAT are done, I have to start getting my shit together for this new semester. (If you're interested, I've done pretty well for the majority my finals– I've kept all of my As in my classes and have gotten an A on the finals except for English. The only class I'm still waiting for a grade is AP Stat, but I'm not too worried since I'll have to score pretty low to lose my A and I've already gotten 93% on half of the test. As for the SAT, it was much easier compared to my last time).

My plan today is to work on the science fair (draw up a map of my county), finish English homework (15 paragraphs!), and do those application essays that I've been procrastinating on (maybe rewrite my Japanese one because I'm not satisfied with it yet, write the Stanford one, and edit the Arthritis Foundation ones). As for my semester goals, I'll want to keep good grades, do well on the AP tests, and get some new extracurriculars. I need to talk to the public library about getting a tea class set up before summer, so hopefully that becomes a thing.

The next tea I'll be reviewing will probably be Celestial Seasonings' Caramel Apple Dream, another black soybean tea (this one is actually whole soybeans instead of just shells), powdered mushroom tea (it has real gold in it!), some mystery tea (I think it's a genmaicha, but it has a smell like soy sauce), Bali from Dammann Freres, and possibly some others. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment