Sunday, January 15, 2017

Review: Stormy Night - David's Tea

Type: Flavored Black
Producer: DAVIDsTEA
Origin: Unknown
Brewing Parameters: 2.5-5 g; ~100°C; 4-7 min. (recommended)
Appearance: Thin, curled black tea leaves with chunks of chocolate and small, white pieces of dried coconut
Rating: B- | 80/100
# of Brews: 1

Tasting Notes and Thoughts
So, this isn't my first time drinking a David's Tea tea, but I think this is my first review of one. I can see why some people say why David's Tea isn't really tea; to be honest, who would even think to put actual chocolate in tea? It's a weird combo, especially with the coconut, vanilla, and whatever else is in this. I got this tea as a gift from my sister, who picked it up during/after Halloween, since it was on sale (or a special?).

Anyway, after brewing, the tea came out a dark brown/amber color with a thin layer of oil on top (probably from the chocolate). The only smell I got from it was the coconut with a bit of sweet cinnamon. Essentially, that's what the taste is, too– slightly sweet with the taste of coconut and cinnamon. When you first sip it, it starts off with a little bitterness, followed the sweet and lightly sour taste of the coconut. It's a bit milky, and gradually dies off into the cinnamon taste, which lingers  in the mouth for a short period. I also noticed some soapy notes. It's very smooth with little astringency, but it does leave the waxy taste in the mouth.

All in all, I thought this tea was decent. It's nothing special (except maybe for what's in the tea blend), but I'd keep it as a daily drinker (which I've been doing for a while now). Personally, I'm not too keen on coconut flavored things, but it's not too bad for what it is. Try it with milk and honey/sweetener.

Other Notes
Today's album is the La La Land Original Motion Picture Soundtrack. I've already talked about how I felt about the movie in a previous post, but I ended up picking up the soundtrack after a friend recommended me to (you know, the one I watched the movie with). For some reason, the piano tracks remind me of The Apartment's soundtrack, which is nice. My favorite tracks are City of Stars, Someone in the Crowd, and Audition (The Fools Who Dream).

Happy Martin Luther King Jr. weekend! It's going to be more work, again, for me (mainly comp civics - we have about 3 weeks left until state, and we're getting to where we need to be but it's going to take a lot of effort). I also just have homework for classes and the speech for an oratorical contest about the Constitution. For fun stuff, I'm watching Moonlight today– it finally opened at a theatre near me– and yesterday, I got lunch with friends.

To be completely honest, I still think I'm going to burn out soon. Friday, I was up until 2 AM doing the work that my unit was supposed to help me with, and I ended up going to bed at like 8 PM yesterday because of the lack of sleep through the whole week. I woke up this morning feeling like I might become sick, and now I'm taking a ton of vitamins. We'll see, but hey– on the bright side of things, I'm exercising again.

No comments:

Post a Comment