Monday, June 12, 2017

Review: Bao Chung Oolong - Unknown

Type: Oolong
Producer: Unknown
Origin: Taiwan
Brewing Parameters: 90°C, fill 2/3rds of brewing vessel with leaf, gongfu style (recommended)
Appearance: Mix of dark and light green rolled leaves of a large size
Rating: A | 94/100
# of Brews: 5

Tasting Notes and Thoughts
I actually forgot I had this tea; I thought I only had one left to review, and when I was looking through my bag of Taiwan teas, I found this one. It's in a nice, large gift box and has a decent amount of English information on it including brewing instructions and nutritional facts. For one, this tea already wins in presentation.

After googling a bit about this tea, it's supposed to be very fragrant– and this one is no exception. Once the tea was washed, my pot had a very strong, sweet floral scent just emanating from it.
Since the leaves were loosely rolled (6 grams took up a large amount of space in my teapot), I did very fast brews, essentially just pouring the water in and pouring the tea off. The liquid came out a clear, bright yellow-gold color with a scent similar to the leaves, but with a little more caramel scent instead of floral. For the taste, it's just how it smells, with sweet notes of jasmine, honey, and very light fruit, probably cantaloupe. I also tasted a little bit of tomato, but this is more of a greener, sweet tea. It's generally smooth, with a clean aftertaste, but I can see it getting astringent if you brew at high temperatures for a long time.

I ended around maybe the fifth brew, but the tea was still going strong; the color became more golden and the flavor was similar to when I started. This is actually one of the better teas in the Taiwan set I've had– so far, the high mountain green and this one are those I've liked the most– and I can't believe I forgot about this one. Overall, it's enjoyable, following the taste of most Taiwan high mountain teas, but just a little less grassy.


Other Notes
Today's album is the Committed to the Crime EP by Chaos Chaos. Like most other people recently, I found them through their song Do You Feel It? which was in Rick and Morty a while back. They're pretty good; I recommend it.

Anyway, it's been an interesting past two days. Yesterday, I figured out my schedule for next year– history of Asian Americans through musicals seminar, chemistry, math, English, and political science– and went to the girl from the other team's grad party. I guess it wasn't a great day; it's kind of hard to socialize with people when everyone else knows each other, and I don't think I'm the best at meeting people. After staying there, giving her a gift, talking with a mutual friend, and eating, I walked a couple miles home for two hours. Thinking about it, I'm a "nice guy" in relationships and it isn't that great; it leads to some awkward situations. So, when college starts, the plan is to try to be more confident and assertive to try and make friends (and for relationships, too).

Today, I started work at the District Attorney's office. It mainly was just a lot of filing, refiling, and mundane/monotonous work, so it wasn't that interesting. It's a nice experience since it's my first office job, but from my first day, I'm not sure how I feel about it. Personally, I prefer actually getting out and moving about. I'll give it a week. Also, I'm getting better at driving, so that's fun, but right now with work, time management is what I need to work on. I'm currently watching the NBA finals right now, so I'll get back to you all after another review.

No comments:

Post a Comment