Thursday, June 29, 2017

Review: Organic Green Tea - Ito En

Type: Green (sencha leaves with matcha)
Producer: Ito En/Kirkland Signature
Origin: Japan
Brewing Parameters: 80°C, 30s, 1.5g tea bag (recommended)
Appearance: Square nylon bag with green tea fannings and matcha powder
Rating: C- | 72/100
# of Brews: 1

Tasting Notes and Thoughts
The funny thing about this tea is that this is actually Costco branded, but produced by Ito En (so the quality isn't that bad). It's different in the fact that it has both sencha and matcha; if I had to guess, the matcha is added in order to get a deep green color. It works, too. After a short, thirty second brew, the liquid was a cloudy, dark yellowish green with some matcha visible at the bottom of the cup.

Despite the color, the smell wasn't too strong; I could get some light, grassy notes with a lemony citrus. In the taste, the sencha was the dominant flavor. It's soupy– somewhat vegetal– with a grassy sweetness that is overtaken by a long, sour note in the aftertaste. In the background, there is the signature taste of low or cooking-quality matcha, that somewhat fishy flavor. One problem I could find with this tea is that it needs to be consumed fast. The matcha in the water continues the brewing long after you take the tea bag out, so I can see it getting bitter after a while. Overall, for the price point, you're definitely getting your money's worth– especially since there are a hundred tea bags in the box. It's average, but I can see this as a good way to integrate green tea into your cooking or for making iced tea.

Other Notes
Today's album is another eternity by Purity Ring. I'm still listening to the album as I write this, so I don't have much to say, but it's good electronic music with great vocals. I think they came up as a recommended band after I started listening to Grimes, and I'm glad I found them. My favorite song so far is bodyache.

I just returned from my AP biology teacher's funeral. It was nice to see everyone there; the church was filled, I saw many of my friends and teachers, there was a lot of crying, and I finally feel some closure from it. That's all I really have to say about that. Later today, I'm going to go to the county fair with one of my unitmates, the girl from the other team, and some of her friends. It's supposed to be a date between my unitmate and this guy she likes from the other team, so that'll be exciting.

As for stuff I have planned, I still have three days at work– watched a trial about recklessly setting a fire yesterday– a speech to present, a trip to San Francisco with one of my UCLA friends, possibly a Minnesota trip, UC Berkeley homework, We the People meetings, and a few more things. I'm busier than I thought I'd be, but at least I'll be ready for college!

No comments:

Post a Comment