Thursday, July 13, 2017

Writing: College Application Essays #10 (University of California 2)


Describe your favorite academic subject and explain how it has influenced you.

Since elementary school, American history has been my favorite subject.
Beginning in 1607, immigrants have come to America in search of wealth, liberty, or life. Through free land in the West, Americans have formed a deep commitment to the ideals of social mobility and rugged individualism; everyone, and anyone, can succeed through hard work. This mindset has created the American dream: a distinct, unwavering work ethic and optimism not found anywhere else.
However, history shows that this dream is not attainable for all. For many minorities, the system works to prevent their success.
For women, suffrage came about after a long 140 years, despite their roles in shaping the nation’s politics, economics, and culture since the colonial era. For African-Americans, remnants of slavery led to Jim Crow laws and, today, issues of police brutality and mass incarceration. For Asian-Americans, discriminatory immigration laws, fueled by anti-Asian sentiment, associated us with crime and undesirability. Similar patterns are seen for all other minority groups.
Although time has shown that the American dream only exists for a minority of the majority, it still thrives today. Americans still have faith in the institutions that have discriminated against them for three centuries.
That faith has led me to ask: why do we continue to trust these systems? AP US History was only the entrance to that rabbit hole; it led me to explore our nation’s ideological foundation and the struggles of the underclass.
That’s why, this year, I’m studying African American Literature, the first class in my school solely about people of color; volunteering with the Uhuru Movement and Cheza Nami, groups dedicated to advancing African rights and culture; and competing with Amador’s Competition Civics team, debating the Constitution and Bill of Rights in a style similar to a congressional hearing.
For many Americans today, including my parents– first generation immigrants from rural provinces in the Philippines– the past has not stopped them. Nor will it stop me. The American Dream thrives on our choice to take initiative to change the status quo, and that is why I love our history.

What is the one thing that you think sets you apart from other candidates applying to the University of California?
Camellia sinensis– tea– is a modest drink. At its base, it’s just hot water and leaves; however, depending on the country, it has milk, sugar, cream, honey, or interestingly, yak butter. Since its discovery, tea has shaped the world, determining cultural traditions, economics, and politics. Today, it’s a close second to water.
Beginning freshman year, I’ve explored this drink. I’ve learned the Chinese tea ceremony, authored a tea review blog, and tried, unsuccessfully, to start a tea club at my school. It’s quickly spiraled out of hand; in three years, I’ve tasted over 150 teas from the Azores Islands to the shores of Tanegashima.
Through it, I’ve learned history, culture, and even science. I’ve asked myself several questions: “What made tea so important to the feudal Japanese? When did tea reach India and become a staple good? Why did Americans choose coffee over tea?” Answering these questions requires looking at the history of colonialism, the rise of international trade, and how they’ve affected cultural beliefs.
Then, there’s the most important question, “How can I make the best tasting cup?” The scientific method is the perfect solution; each hypothesis and trial reveals a new depth to the taste.
With my research, I’ve found that tea is special. It’s a paradox; it’s simple, but yet, so complex. From a single leaf, you can create a grassy green, creamy oolong, earthy black, or fishy pu’erh.
But, at first, it’s not much. If you want the best taste, you must spend time with your tea, working with it to discover its strengths and weaknesses. It requires enthusiasm, determination, and a keen attention to detail.
If you want to succeed, these skills are key. That’s why I love tea. It’s given me stronger problem-solving abilities and a better understanding of the importance of multiculturalism and diversity. It’s allowed me to explore my Filipino roots and succeed in and out of school. No one I’ve met has had the same passion for tea, and that’s okay. For me, it has been the perfect source for exploring the world and my identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment