Tuesday, December 22, 2015

12 Days of Chris-Tea-Mas - Day 10: 2015 Spring 'Gu Ming Xiang Bing' Yiwu-Bulang Blend - Crimson Lotus Tea

Spring 'Gu Ming Xiang Bing' Yiwu-Bulang Blend - Crimson Lotus Tea
Type: Sheng Puerh
Appearance (dry): Compressed chunks and loose pieces of light and dark green, brown, and white leaves
Recommended Brewing Parameters: ~100°C, 5-10 g, 6s
Rating: A- | 91/100
# of Brews: 9+

Tasting Notes:
Interesting tea today. I'm using around 7-8 g just because I wanted to use the whole sample, and I'll be following the recommended brewing instructions: using boiling water, 3 second wash, then quick 6 second steeps. However, I'll be drinking with my dad today and writing the review after, mainly because I want to focus on just the tea. Today's album is Just Know That I Love You by Priscilla Ahn.

Well, puerh certainly is an acquired taste. For the first few brews, the tea was very, very fishy tasting (not suspicious tasting, but rather like seafood), earthy, and bitter, even with a very short brew time. The liquid was a light amber color, and the leaves definitely smelled like the pile (as in, fermented). However, as brews went on, and as my water temperature decreased, the tea tasted much better; it lost the fishy taste and became a bit sweeter and citrusy. The texture also became more smooth. I stopped at 9 brews since I have to write this review and I'll be going out in an hour, but I'll definitely continue drinking this throughout the day. Overall, I did not like this tea at first, but once the fishiness went away, I enjoyed it very much in the later brews. It had pretty good tea energy, and while I didn't get as tea drunk with this tea as I did with Planet Jingmai, I still liked it (I'm looking forward to drinking more puerh!).

Misc. Notes:
So, yesterday was pretty fun. Didn't get a massage (will do that today), but I did have dinner with the girlfriend (my parents liked her and it was fun seeing her) and watched Star Wars (surprisingly, really good). Again, not really sure what I'm going to do today; I might finally start those applications, practice my journalist articles for Mock Trial, work on the science fair project, or put together a final study guide for AP Statistics, though. It's hard to believe that I really have no work this break; it turns out I finished all of the work that my teachers were planning to have us do over winter break a long time ago, so I don't really have much to do other than drink tea and watch movies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment