Wednesday, December 23, 2015

12 Days of Chris-Tea-Mas - Day 11: Ceylon Moragalla Oolong - What-Cha

Ceylon Moragalla Oolong - What-Cha
Type: Oolong (unflavored)
Appearance (dry): Long, thin, dark brown tightly rolled leaves
Recommended Brewing Parameters: 85°C, 1-2 tsps, 2-3 min.
Rating: A- | 92/100
# of Brews: 6

Tasting Notes:
It's hard to believe I'm already almost done with this project, and that I've tried almost every tea I've bought during Black Friday; at the time, it looked like so much, but now it doesn't look like much at all. Today's album is The Bones of What You Believe by CHVRCHES.

Interesting tea today; it's more of a black tea than an oolong. Even with short brews, the liquid is a dark golden amber color, with a smell like compost, burnt wood, soy sauce and red wine. The flavor is a bit sour, with earthy and nutty notes. I could also notice a very slight fruity flavor too. It tasted mostly like a black tea (CTC Assam, I'm guessing), with a slight fishy puerh aftertaste. For some reason, I could only think of fuel (kerosene?) when drinking this, mainly because of the smell (it did not taste like kerosene; that would be bad).  Oddly, even though I used boiling water, the tea wasn't hot at all; it felt the perfect temperature even after immediately pouring off, and lacked any astringency. The temperature of the room probably played a factor in that. Overall, this tea was surprisingly tasty, and I'd actually suggest trying it with milk and sugar on account of its earthy flavor (it is  pretty good on its own, I will admit).

Misc. Notes:
If you noticed, today's review has kind of been half-assed. That's because I've had kind of a bad day and not that much motivation to write. I'll make it up for you guys tomorrow. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment