Saturday, February 14, 2015

Day 21: Alphonso Mango

Brand: Lupicia
Type: Flavored Black
Brew Time & Temperature: 3 minutes, boiling
Leaf Appearance: Long, rolled black leaves with bits of dried mango
Color: Dark amber
Smell: It has the smell of a ripened mango (but the smell just isn't too strong)
Recommended with/as: As is, sugar, honey, iced, milk
Rating: 8/10

Tasting notes and thoughts:
First off, I'd suggest brewing this tea longer than the recommended (or even better- use more loose leaf if you could find it), since it was a little weak after 3 minutes with a tea bag. As for the taste, I thought it was kind of lacking. You can certainly taste the mango, but I thought it tasted unripened, unlike the smell. It was a little bit sour and bitter- adding some sugar helped. There's little astringency however (making it very smooth) and the tea base is nice and light. Overall, it's okay, but I'd prefer if the mango was sweeter and much stronger.

Apparently, the tea IS supposed to taste like really sweet mangoes, but I can't tell if it's because I used too much water or my taste is still suffering from the sick (I'm getting better though!). Like most other teas this week, I think I'll try going for a re-taste later on.

Other notes:
Nothing really other than I think I'm almost done being sick (there's really coughing now). Valentine's day was less eventful than I hoped, since all I pretty much did today was sleep, eat, play video games, watch a movie, and buy groceries. Hopefully tomorrow or Monday will be better since my friends will be free to actually film that commercial I was talking about yesterday.

Next on the 100 Days of Tea: Matcha Kirara Rice Tea

No comments:

Post a Comment