Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Day 38: Taiwan Oolong-Dongding

Brand: Lupicia
Type: Oolong
Brew Time & Temperature: Tried brewing with a gaiwan today, so no exact measurements
Leaf Appearance: Large, dark green balled oolong leaves
Color: Light yellow/orange; clear
Smell: Roasted, somewhat like rice (comparable to houjicha, but less harsh), very light floral smell
Recommended with/as: As is
Rating: 8/10

Tasting notes and thoughts:
Well, today's review is mostly a way for me to practice and test out using a gaiwan. I got the travel set from Music City Tea ($22 including shipping- 2 day), and I'd say I'm pretty happy with it. It includes a gaiwan, fairness cup, 5 cups, tweezers/tongs, and 2 strainers. The only problems I have with it is that: it's a bit small (but that's expected considering the price and that it's a travel set), and the fairness cup drips a bit if you don't pour at an exact angle. It's great, otherwise!

The tea turned out to be actually pretty good, even though I'm sure I screwed up the brewing times and water temperature. It tastes and smells very similar to pan fried green tea, but is a bit sweet rather than grassy. It's light and not astringent at all (but it does have a strange mouthfeel). Overall, I think it's good, but I can't really be sure since (I think) this is my first unflavored oolong.

Other notes:
Nothing much other than we got the rest of the commercial filmed (with two days left)!!! I couldn't work on the project report though, since I have a math test tomorrow and need to get the editing/post production done. Started filming at four, finished at 6 and then started editing, and it's still going on now past 10.

Next on the 100 Days of Tea: Jardin Sauvage

No comments:

Post a Comment