Sunday, March 8, 2015

Day 43: Darjeeling the Second Flush

Brand: Lupicia
Type: Black
Brew Time & Temperature: 3 minutes, boiling
Leaf Appearance: Dark brown and green leaves, rolled and a good size
Color: Copper (orange-brown) with a light oily film on top
Smell: Roasted with notes of wood, smoke; there's also a strong muscatel smell
Recommended with/as: As is
Rating: 8.5/10

Tasting notes and thoughts:
This is going to be a short review since I got a bunch of Milk Oolong from Vital Tea Leaf in SF (go there! the owner is super nice and gives free tastings along with lessons on how to properly brew tea. It's a little pricey, but it's worth it for the experience), and my parents want me to brew it for them.

I'm surprised that this tastes extremely different from the Darjeeling I had earlier (Autumnal Darjeeling I believe). It's much less floral and more full-bodied; rather, it has a strong smoky and earthy taste. The muscatel gives the tea a nice undertone, while also giving it a bit of a tangy aftertaste. It's not bitter, though the astringency in the tea gives it a different mouthfeel and keeps your throat dry.

Overall, I like it; it's probably one of the only unflavored black teas I've had so far that I can drink on its own. I think it's better that way than with anything added (which is surprising, since I usually add milk/honey).

Other notes:
Holy jeebus that Milk Oolong was amazing. It's a bit pricey at $40 for 4 oz, but it's worth it (I think you can get it cheaper in SF Chinatown at Red Blossom Tea Co. for $30, but I couldn't check because Chinese New Year). Once I'm done with this project (57 more days to go!), I think the teas I will review for sure are Sencha Tanegashima and this Milk Oolong.

Other than that, today I pretty much just went to the SF Conservatory of Flowers (good way to study for my AP Bio test tuesday) and to Chinatown. I'm working on that essay that's due tomorrow right now, and I think I'm gonna stay up late to write an outline for a history essay and study for other classes.

Also, spring forward/daylight savings time sucks.

Next on the 100 Days of Tea: Paradise Green

No comments:

Post a Comment