Thursday, April 2, 2015

Day 68: Sencha "Ureshino"

Brand: Lupicia
Type: Green
Brew Time & Temperature: 1 minute 45 seconds, (around) 75-80°C
Leaf Appearance: Small dark green leaves, needle like (very thin), curled; since it's a tea bag, many of the leaves are broken up or very small
Color: Bright light green; a bit cloudy due to green tea particles (probably won't be a problem if you use the actual loose leaf)
Smell: Grassy, vegetal/brothy, a bit ocean-like and sweet
Recommended with/as: As is
Rating: 8/10

Tasting notes and thoughts:
Man, it's been a while since I've had a good sencha (or really, any unflavored green tea), and this was a nice re-entry into Japanese greens. It's mainly grassy and vegetal, with a bit of tart (coming from citrus-like notes). I couldn't taste the sweetness that was in the smell, but there were some floral notes that gave it a very, very slight sweetness. It did leave my throat a bit dry after drinking, but wasn't that bitter. It didn't linger in the mouth, and was a bit abrupt in terms of flavor length. A problem I found with the tea is that it got bitter pretty fast (but you could circumvent this by not using a teabag, and instead using a gaiwan or something). It's not really limited to only this tea (it applies to all senchas), but it was something I thought I should mention. Overall, it's a decent, basic sencha (would probably benefit if I had the loose leaf), but I think there are some better ones out there.

Other notes:
Well, today I went out to watch a movie with friends (Cinderella- not my choice). It was fun and I actually got to hang out with people that aren't my family, so there's that. The movie was decent (and does a good job of retelling Cinderella), but it didn't really have any redeeming qualities other than that- it was very vanilla. Other than that though, I worked a bit on the AP Bio speech and English homework. There wasn't really much I did when I got home (and I have no idea what I'm going to or want to do tomorrow).

Next on the 100 Days of Tea: Sri Lanka

No comments:

Post a Comment