Sunday, April 5, 2015

Day 71: Ginger & Lemon Myrtle

Brand: Lupicia
Type: Flavored Herbal
Brew Time & Temperature: 4 minutes, boiling; I didn't brew a whole pot today- I just threw the tea bag into a mug full of boiling water because I'm in a rush
Leaf Appearance: Small, dark orange and brown rooibos needles with medium-sized (relatively) chunks of ginger and large pieces of green leaves (maybe the myrtle?). I think there are some lemon chunks, but they may just be ginger (they look very similar in this tea).
Color: Dark orange/caramel brown; it's clear, but opaque (so you can't see the bottom of the cup)
Smell: Minty, ginger/spice, a bit sweet
Recommended with/as: As is, sweetener
Rating: 8/10

Tasting notes and thoughts:
Gonna rush through this one today, for reasons below (see Other Notes). Anyway, as much as I hate the medicine taste of rooibos, this wasn't so bad. It has a bit of tart, coming from the citrus and lemon, along with a light spiciness from the ginger. The rooibos taste doesn't come out until the aftertaste, where it's light enough that it doesn't bother me. Surprisingly, it tastes a lot like a roasted green tea, which I liked. Overall, it's a pleasant herbal tea, but it just doesn't match up with real tea. (the ginger and lemon work very well with each other, though). Makes for a good night tea, though!

Other notes:
Today (Easter!) was actually really productive! First, I found out the perfect way to make Royal Milk Tea (the Japanese one, I adapted this off of a recipe online)

1. Boil water (note: for this recipe, just use a milk to water ratio of 2:1).
2. Add leaves- I used a mix of Uva and Darjeeling; 1:1 (it's also good with some keemun, but in lower amounts)
3. Boil for about 2-4 minutes, or until dark brown.
4. Add the milk and sweetener (2:1 ratio for milk, as said before, and I just messed around with the sweetener- use a lot of sugar and/or condensed milk, 1/4-1/3 cup?). Stir continuously.
5. Let it reach boiling point, where it starts bubbling (you can stop stirring around here). Like with chai, let it bubble to the top, take it off the heat, stir, and let it bubble to the top again. Do this about 2 or 3 times, and then take it off of the heat.
6. Depending on the strength you want it, leave the pot out for a couple minutes or strain immediately (I liked it both ways, really). Chill, and enjoy!

Other than that, I got really far on the history project (but I didn't work on anything else, heh). I got all of the flags/markers for each army done, inked the main parts of the map, and made it so that the army markers magnetically stick to the place where they actually were in the battle. I'll work on it more tomorrow since I need to buy more magnets and let the flags set (because glue). The model will be done once I set up houses (city markers), tanks (to represent the German push), ink the roads/header, place the map/build the box, and (maybe) place barbed wire on the map (for the Russian defensive positions). I'm actually having a lot of fun with this now, since I'm getting somewhere. Tomorrow, since there's no school, I'm going to try and buy all of the stuff I need, finish up what I can, study for tests, bake a Nutella/Chocolate Chip Cookie/Twinkie cheesecake for a friend's birthday (the girl I used to like/still sort of do), and complete the rest of my homework. I'm hyped!

Next on the 100 Days of Tea: Four Seasons- Mingjian

No comments:

Post a Comment